2003 E85 2 seat pick up Hill Climbing ability

Hello all,

Im new here as i just bought a E85 two seater pick up stake bed. I live on a paved road but it is about 1/4-1/2 mile on a fairly steep incline. I am about to invest in all new batteries but the local shop guy said it will not climb my hill.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge about its climbing ability?

Do you know what size motor you have?
What’s the incline of the hill?
What batteries are you looking at and is the shop a Polaris shop?

I can possibly see maybe having issues based on incline and motor size if they are all lead acid batteries, but I don’t think anyone here would recommend new lead acid batteries due to weight. AGM for easy replacement and LIthium-X if so inclined.

M@

Investigate Chevy Volt Lithium conversion before you commit to new batteries. Its a bit of work and a ton of research (we can help with that), but it will shave 350+ pounds from the car, you can hotrod the voltage for more torque, and you can get all the range you ever dreamed of. @Inwo can guide you through what you need and help you acquire ONLY what you need. Be very careful, there are guys on here and ebay that will sell you the wrong stuff and then sell you more stuff to make the wrong stuff work. @Inwo has gotten dozens of us up and running and is honest and supportive!

if it has a 12.44 trans it will climb anything . with high voltage lithium it will climb EVEREST .

how do i find out what gears it has?

There is a label on the trans. Post a picture of it

If wheels/tires have been changed out to 24 inch diameter change them out to 20 or 21 inch size.

What year is your GEM? late 2002 thru 2004 usually has 10.35 gearbox and 5hp motor. 24 inch tires on these are too big for anything but flat land.

Rodney

Rodney, what about reducing wheels to 8" – a golf cart standard - wider tires for off road operations.

Will the standard GC wheel bolt circle fit. I’m not that concerned with top speed, but don’t want to get stuck in pastures etc.

Thanks
LW

The wheel size doesn’t matter it’s the diameter of the tire thats important. A wide flat tread tread works best on hard surfaces. There are some nice 14 inch rims with 20/21 inch diameter tires that will fit GEMS without spacers.

Using regular golf cart wheels can be problematic. Most tend to be too far offset to the outside for GEMS and handling can be affected negatively. Some times dangerously.

In a message dated 8/31/2018 12:38:36 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

dlwford
August 31
Rodney, what about reducing wheels to 8" – a golf cart standard - wider tires for off road operations.

Will the standard GC wheel bolt circle fit. I’m not that concerned with top speed, but don’t want to get stuck in pastures etc.

Thanks
LW