2001 E825 misleading percentage display

HI–new here. I purchased a used 2001 Gem E825 last October and have had good luck with it until recently.
While the percentage of power consumed on the display has always been misleading (it seems to run out of power when approaching 50% remaining), lately it has jumped from 82 % (seemingly safe % remaining) to 48 % in a matter of seconds and has left me stranded on two occasions. I did have the batteries checked out by my local auto shop 2 weeks ago and they said they were fine (i have the gel kind). But, where i used to travel about 8 miles before running low (I live in the mountains), now it is running out of juice in less than 2 miles. Any suggestions?

The real test of batteries is range.
What type test did they do? Ah capacity?

Wrong charger setting can shorten life.

1 how old are the batteries

2 You may have one bad cell in one battery that is causing the problem

3 Feel all the connections for a hot one after running a half a mile.

4 The only reliable test is to check each battery under load.

A. Hook your volt meter to one battery at a time.

B Hold your foot hard on the brake and mash the throttle for a couple of seconds and read the voltage drop.

C Repeat on all 6 batteries.

Bet you will find 1 or 2 that drop like a stone

Rodney

Thank you so much for your response–i had them tested and they all were quite low even after a full charge.
I bit the bullet and purchased an set of 6 trojan t31 gel deep cycle batteries for a sum of 2000.00.
as my zivan charger does not have a switch to convert to gel batteries, i had to order an upgrade from zivan–hopefully i will have it back in a couple of weeks. it was my understanding that unless i purchased the upgraded charger it may damage the batteries.

got my converted zivan charger back and installed it to work with the gel trojan batteries—a bit confused as the percentage display so far (only short 1-2 mile trips) only shows 100%–with no drop off in percentage. I know it is not 100% because when it charge it on my return, the light on the dash is red–blinking red before turning yellow in about a half hour and then finally green. any ideas?

You had your previous 100% set at 76 volts. It wont start to drop until voltage drops below that figure. Recalabrate your setting 2 hours after charger is done charging. Note: it takes 20 to 30 charge cycles to break in a set of batteries. During this period your range will increase…

how do i recalabrate the charger and to what setting? What volt setting am i at now with brand new gel trojans?

You don’t recalabrate the charger. I assume you had the charger set for Gels when you sent it in. You recalibrate the display. Procedure should be in the manual. If not we can dig it out from the archives.

Rodney

thank you–could you please tell me how to recalabrate the display?

Hi Rodney
unfortunately i do not have the manual and could use some easy to explain directions as to how to
recalibrate the display (i am not much of a electrical/mechanical expert)
any help is much appreciated–
mike

1. Turn the key on.
  2. Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch until it’s showing the
    odometer.
  3. While holding the switch down, turn the RIGHT signal on, then the LEFT
    signal, then return the blinker to the center.
  4. Release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. You should be seeing data (P0105) on
    the display now.
  5. Turn the RIGHT signal on, then off repeatedly until the display reads:
    SOC (State Of Charge).
  6. Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. Now it’s remaining capacity in
    percent.
  7. You can now raise (or lower, for that matter) the SOC with the blinker
    switch.
  8. When you’re happy, Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. The display
    reads: DONE.
  9. Turn the key off.

In a message dated 8/29/2017 4:23:44 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

supplex55
August 29Hi Rodney
unfortunately i do not have the manual and could use some easy to explain directions as to how to
recalibrate the display (i am not much of a electrical/mechanical expert)
any help is much appreciated–
mike
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply ToOld_HouseboaterModerator
August 28You don’t recalabrate the charger. I assume you had the charger set for Gels when you sent it in. You recalibrate the display. Procedure should be in the manual. If not we can dig it out from the archives. Rodney
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

thank you Rodney–where is the trip/od switch on the 2001 Gem E825 (under the dash?)

OOPS I gave you bad information. I assumed you had a later model cart.

On T1 and T2 controllers setting 14 IR (internal resistance setting) is the adjustment for the battery monitor. Suggest you start with a setting of 5

Go here
http://www.fsip.biz/Documents/GL2%20Tech.pdf

there is mention of a GE HANDSET to make the adjustments—I do not have one, can it be done without one? very confused–sorry -just not sure i can pull this off.

Thank you for the manual—i just am not sure how to pull this off. I am not tech savy enough to even know where to look for the steps to make the recalibration in the manual. could you possibly please just walk me through it in simple written steps? I noticed that a GE HANDSET may be required to make changes—will i need to find one? or can this be done with out one–all i want is for my display to indicate when i am low on power with the percentage showing intermittently along with the MPH. Currently all it shows is 100% no matter how long i have been driving.