Slow and short

2007 E6. Been sitting for a year or two. 6 new batteries and a new 7.5 hp motor two years ago. Prior owner said that he was not happy with it after the battery install and motor replacement. I removed and individually charged the 6 gel batteries. Upon install, everything lit up and everything seemed to work. Took it around the block, check the brakes and such. It wouldn’t go faster than 10 mph on the flats. After about 2 miles, with all bars showing on the dash, something clicked and the dash lights dropped to yellow and red. “Speed” dropped to 6 or 7. After another 1/3 of a mile, it showed one red bar and the speed dropped to 4 and then 1 or 2, then it died. I towed it home and charged it overnight. This morning it showed all bars, fullly charged. I will test it again this evening, just don’t want to get stranded again. It was in drive street mode, turf mode dropped speed to around 6 mph. Set on gel setting for charging. Brakes were squeeking some, but didn’t feel to be dragging. I am told that it might need new batteries, which would be fine, if for sure that was the issue. Don’t want to throw money at it if the batteries aren’t the problem. Any ideas? thanks Phil

It may be the throttle assembly. Failure rate is high on these. Puppys are expensive also. Borrow one if you can to check out.

Symptom is it will start out and run up to about 15 miles per hour and start to die.might go a mile.

Is that close to your experience?

Thanks for the reply. I got these all charged up, drove downhill at about 14 mph max. Did about 10 mph on the flats. Went total about 2 miles, maybe another half and the display went from full to yellow and red, dropped in speed and then dropped to turtle mode and limped along at about 1 to 2 mph. I will try it again tonight and try to better identify the symptoms. I had not heard about the throttle assembly issue before. thanks again. Phil

Your report mimes a 6 seater that gave me fits a year ago. However I didn’t pay any attention to the display.

We even sent the controller in.

Swapped the throttle control out of another cart after changing out everything else and that fixed it.

:pOne or more bad batteries. It’s hard to find which. If all else fails find out if your local evil empire dealer (Polaris) has the proper battery tester. Mine does not. I installed a BattSix system and finally found the bad battery. Is there a red light showing on the side of your charger when it is done charging? Barry, Chico, CA😈

Not that hard to find.

Clip your volt meter to a single battery. Get a helper to watch it and accelerate hard.

Repeat on all 6 batteries. You will probably find the one that does a drastic dip in voltage.

Rodney

Of course Rodney is right! My only problem with this method for me is that I don’t have any friends! Use a good meter. Have fun, Barry.

You have us :smiley:

Same here. So many things could be done with an extra hand.:slight_smile:

It looks like I have two weak batteries out of the six. I got a great deal on two almost new gel batteries from the local gem car/golf cart battery place. $50 each, three months old, with warranty. I am going to replace the two weak ones and see how she runs. At a minimum, I am hoping that it will give me enough juice to figure out any gremlins that are lurking and turn this into a rocketship…well at least a grocery store/beach cruiser. I will keep you posted.

I don’t know what size batteries go into an E6 but for $50.00 that sounds awful cheap. What size, make, model, type, etc., are your batteries? I am suspicious that they are not proper to your car. I’m sure someone knows the proper specs. for your car. The improper type of battery could lead to their early demise. Barry.

No they are deka gel 31 batteries. They are normally $250. The were returns. Ergo the low price. I will find out if they work tomorrow. Phil

Got the two new batteries installed. The car runs much better. I need to take it out on the flats to get a mileage read but cruising hills this afternoon I got about 8 miles before it kicked into turtle mode. Not great but better than the 1 1/2 or 2 miles that I was getting earlier My car is 2007 but appears to have a zinan charger rather than the newer style yellow charger. What kind of performance difference does the yellow charger provide? Thanks. Phil

Hi this is doom of doom and gloom. I think you now need to see what the volts drop off on the remaining batteries in comparison to the 2 new batteries. With new batteries I can get a lot more miles. Even with 3 or 4 year old batteries ( daily driver) I still got more miles. Are you flat or hilly( not personally)? I am flat. Oh, and that’s another thing, I’m very fat. And with me it does make a difference. I could be wrong but I think they changed over to DeltaQs in 2005. I know that they were standard by 2007. It sounds like someone changed it to a Zivan. The next question is what other unstock things did they do to the car? Ask the smart people if there is a gel battery setting on the Zivan? If there isn’t that could be a negative. Well this is doom out for now. Happy days, Barry.

Ziivan is a better charger

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa. sorry I do have the Delta Q charger. I thought that the charger was mounted up top, did not realize that it is underneath. It is there in yellow. After charging, I have a yellow light at the top and a green light right below it, no lights are illuminated below the top two. I am getting more pep out of the car, more mileage and more top speed, still not what many here are getting. I need to do a flat mileage test and see how many miles I can get out of the car, problem is I don’t want to get stranded…again. I suspect that the four 2-year old batteries were not maintained properly and are not performing as they should. I also suspect that hills kill the mileage. Weight may also bring it down. Phil

What Diameter tires

13 inch oem, standard for the E6 as I understand it. Phil

The green and yellow light indicate the charger thinks the car has been fully charged. What it doesn’t tell you is the age of the batteries or use of the batteries. I think ( my wife allows this once in awile), that you have 4 old or well used, or tired batteries, and now 2 new fresh batteries that are doing their best. Did you get another $50.00 deal again from the same dealer. I’m a very suspicious kind of a guy that would go berserk if I was done wrong twice. I’m just saying. Gels are not cheap! I’m the potatoe up the muffler kind of a guy. (Well, really I just dream about doing these kind of things. I’m way to passive. But I have been told that I do have a mean looking resting face.(( my wife)). OH, COME ON I DRIVE A GEM!:grin:. BARRY

The green and yellow light indicate the charger thinks the car has been fully charged. What it doesn’t tell you is the age of the batteries or use of the batteries. I think ( my wife allows this once in awile), that you have 4 old or well used, or tired batteries, and now 2 new fresh batteries that are doing their best. Did you get another $50.00 deal again from the same dealer. I’m a very suspicious kind of a guy that would go berserk if I was done wrong twice. I’m just saying. Gels are not cheap! I’m the potatoe up the muffler kind of a guy. (Well, really I just dream about doing these kind of things. I’m way to passive. But I have been told that I do have a mean looking resting face.(( my wife)). OH, COME ON, I DRIVE A GEM!:grin:. BARRY