New guy with broke gem

Hey everyone I was just told about the site… I have been a happy Gem owner for approx 4 years I own a e 85 2001 utility bed version lifted 7 inches with 23x14 custom rims and wheels. Love this thing and its been bullet proof.
recently while going to get my mail my cart slowed dramatically and threw a -49 code. Cart will only run in reverse now and has been parked since.
I just got some info on how to test the motor for dead short so I’m going to be in the market for a motor or a controller shortly and hopefully not both.

I have also been doing a rear motor conversion creating an independent rear suspension rear swing arm utilizing a 1968 BMW independent rear differential. I know cool right? Its all complete except for the rear splines i’m in need of two rear axle nipples off a stock Gem to complete my live rear axle.
Hopefully in the end I’ll have a Hybrid gem Electric up front and gas powered rear. Powered by a Yamaha 250 cc automatic 5 speed with reverse.

another photo

Neat truck, keep us up to date.

checked my motor as you instructed and found no dead shorts.:clap2:
any way of checking controller or is it obvious:mad:

so here it is ready for some splined axle shaft ends. It was built off set to accommodate the left sided shaft drive from motor. Will be using the stock dual rear shocks per side trying to keep it simple
axle ratio for the 68 bmw rear differential is 2 to 1 matching the gear of the Yamaha tire size is same so with any luck should roll out pretty good.
Stopping it may be a problem.

Doesn’t sound good.

You might ohm out the motor

Field about 1.3 to 1.5 ohms

Amature about .1 to .2 ohms

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;26729]Doesn’t sound good.

You might ohm out the motor

Field about 1.3 to 1.5 ohms

Amature about 1 to 2 ohms[/quote]

field 1.0
Amature 2.5

Your cool.

Check brushes!

Or to be sure, without pulling motor.
Wheels off ground, motor disconnected, jumper cables from 12v battery to armature, should draw ~100 amps from Rodney’s R spec. ie .15 ohms.

If you can’t measure high amps, parallel field to armature with 10 amp jumpers. See if motor runs smooth on 12 volts.

Usually, If brushes were bad it wouldn’t ohm out

Low ohms on power circuits are notoriously hard to do without a special low reading ohmmeter.

His reading of X10 expected reading doesn’t sound good.

He just didn’t put in the Decimal point. These motors are bricks.as long as they show continuity and no opens or shorts to ground their usually good to go.

So am I looking at a controller or??? any way of testing the controller?

Flyte Systems Industrial Products (FSIP) will now deal directly with individuals. Contact them for evaluation and repair.

[quote=Inwo;26745]Low ohms on power circuits are notoriously hard to do without a special low reading ohmmeter.

His reading of X10 expected reading doesn’t sound good.[/quote]

I have tested the motor with battery and 10 amp jumper to the fields motor turns in reverse If i reverse pos and neg still runs in reverse
re ohmed motor
armature is 1.6
fields .5 to .7

Those are good Numbers

Swap either the Field wires or the Armature wires to change direction Not both.

My controller say Trans2 is this a t-2?

the end of the GE # is T1

anyone got an after market part # for the front control arms bushings?
what year civic brakes fit ?

Check Daniel’s list

Mine came off a 96.