Gem lithium ion conversion help

The R$4 SuperCharger is northing more than a rebranded Quick Charge corp Select-A-Charge SCO7210. The F5 profile, which is the lithium profile, needs to be factory programmed because they want to set the max voltage to match the number of cells in your pack. F5 was originally intended for LiFePo4 cells, which only go to 3.6v / cell whereas the SDI cells are a different chemistry and go to 4.1v. It’s a brute force, old school, dumb as box of rocks, wound transformer based charger - I have no idea how F5 might interplay on a different lithium chemistry.

As @Inwo might have told you, you are probably better off with one of the lead profiles.

Now, I see you have Trojan XHS30 batteries in there. If configured correctly, this should put the charger on F3-d2. F3 is the 3-stage deep cycle program, and d2 lengthens the cycle and I believe raises the voltages. It’s the modifier for the “BIG” batteries: Trojans, Full River, US Battery for example.

You might need to change the “d” profile. Not sure if F should be changed to something like F2 (2-stage) or F4 (AGM - which on this charger has a flatter curve). - that’s a @Inwo or @LithiumGods question that I can’t answer.

Changing profiles is super easy, here’s the manual, and they also put a youtube video out. You power it up without the batteries connected and it goes into programming mode. Then its just pushing buttons on the front.

Here’s all the documentation that they scattered around their website:

1 Like