2004 GEM working on it for a friend

Thanks. Picture was taken before all were installed, have one on every cell now. Work great.

That’s the downside I guess of buying them used. You don’t really know how well they were maintained. What do you recommend as the best thing to balance them? He did include these two boxes. One is a 24s balancer the other is a 4s and he had me install them together but like I said the one was making a buzzing noise so I unhooked them until I figured out what the cart issues all were. Haven’t hooked that back up again yet. Plus he walked me through that over the phone so I don’t have any text to go back on to hook it back up. I believe we started on the last battery with the negative terminal and worked our way back to the positive terminal one wire at a time. Cell 24 had like 3 wires on it because the two had to overlap.

How many times does the 80% light flash? Is it flashing a repeating code?

I agree, it is usually the red light for the error code. The green lights usually flash the profiles.

68v might be under the lower acceptable threshold of the charger. (car was recently run till it slowed down and you did remove one cell)

It may not be the red light flashing the code

I don’t recommend active balancing LIFEPO4 due to the voltage changing so little with soc.
If it’s bluetooth it makes a good monitor. Turn balancing off except when they are fully charged.
IMO

The “thing” you need to put in the #1 wire on the 23pin connector is called a “spoof”. It reduces the voltage the controller sees by about 12 volts.

Since you claim to be somewhat conversant in electronics you should know that going in blind is a rather great way to fry something expensive. A GEM cart is a rather sophisticated piece of equipment.
If you email me the year i will give you the operator and repair manuals. rodneyadiehl@aol.com

1 Like

I didn’t pay attention to the pattern on the red blinking light. I was aware of the blinking pattern for the charging profile. Didn’t know the red blinking was a pattern too. I can plug it in tomorrow and take a look at the red blinking and see what the pattern is. The 80 percent light the few times it would come on and that be the light that blinks it was just constant. There was no pattern to it it just blinked and blinked which made me assume that it was just indicating it was charging.

Just saw this thread. I am the person who sold your friend this setup. Didn’t realize you were trying to get a hold of me, don’t recall getting a voice mail from you. The batteries should be fine. This setup is a high voltage setup and is more complicated. I think you would be better served to remove a few cells and run 25 total. This will keep you from getting a high voltage code and you wont have to install the spoof. Simpler is better. I loaded multiple settings in the charger so you will need to change it to a lower setting for the lower number of cells. If the battery pack voltage gets too low the charger wont start, I think this is what has happened. Don’t keep driving it if the charger isn’t working yet it will drain the pack too low.

Once I realized the batteries were low I parked it. So charging is what I’m stuck at. Is it possible for me to charge the batteries a little bit individually with a low amp 6v lithium charger? It’s been sitting I haven’t messed with it anymore.

Did you ever get around to putting a meter on them? You need to do each cell and report back with your findings. What numbers are you looking at? Depending on what you see will determine a solution for greatest success.

Charging them individually, or even in groups will bring them out of balance related to each other and sets up a scenario where the pack can be damaged.