Newbie needs a little help with connecting a Delta q charger

I am new to Gems but have plenty of automotive experience. Needless to say a 72 volt system is uncharted waters for me. I have a 2002 e825 that I recently purchased. It has a Delta q model 912-7200-02 charger that I think is wired incorrectly. The red wire from the charger is connected to the Main Contactor to the right of the charger. Don’t know what the contactor is but that’s what it’s called in the manual. The white and black wires on the delta q web site are connected together with a little black box at the end. I think the little black box is some type of heat sensor but I could be mistaken. Mine however were cut and each wire runs to different location. My black wire from the charger was cut from the little black box and runs to the - neg of the controller. The white was also cut and runs to the + pos of the battery up front near the fuse box with a slightly smaller gauge wire. Before it connects to the battery it is spliced into that little back box that I mentioned earlier. The other wire coming from the little black box is also spliced to a smaller gauge wire that runs to the neg of the controller. This seems to be a direct short to me but there is no contuinty on this wire through that little black box. I disconnected the red wire and plugged in the charger. Dead. Nothing at all. I think I have a dead charger in addition to it being wired incorrectly.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I tried posting photos but it didn’t work. Like I said earlier I’m new to this.

Sounds correct.
Red to B+ and Blk to B-. Where it connects to battery leads are immaterial
The white is the sensor wire. The other end of sensor goes to B-
What looks like a large wire terminal is the sensor. No connection to anything, so it can be attached to any battery terminal to sense heat.
A working sensor is about 10k ohm.
Test by connecting 10k from white wire to B-. (blk wire or battery.

Even disconnected from the battery the charger will go through boot sequence and display a profile code.
Not true for lithium charger.
Is the green wire still taped up? If green was inadvertently mis-connected it will kill the charger.
Test for 0 ohms from red to green with no ac power connected. 0 = good fuse.
With ac power red to green = infinity.

Thank you for the quick response. I will test as per your instructions next weekend.

Pulled the charger out and tested everything that you described. All tests check out ok. Removed cover and took a look inside. Not that it means anything but the inside is exceptionally clean. Looks new. The green was not connected to anything. When removing the unit There were however two very small gauge wires. A black one that went to a little box called a timer and a yellow one that went to a red and green wire that went into a wiring harness. Don’t know what these two wires are for. After all that it Looks like I have a dead charger.

Are Delta q’s repairable or do I just toss it and get a new charger. If so any recommendations? I saw one that looks like RFF charger for less than $400.00.

Does it boot up at all? Leds sequencing.
A good charger will do that with nothing connected except ac power.

I have about 50% success repairing DQ.
I have new ones for $350 and I might have one more used one for $250.

How many wires total?
A normal Gem DQ will have 4 large wires. Red, blk, wht, grn.
Older cars have two small wires for interlock, and some have two more to an indicator led.

Does the car run?
Does it run with charger removed?

Charger does nothing at all. I was going to try plugging it in one more time and test for 110 volts inside the charger to make sure that the wire is good. The car ran fine but I haven’t tried it since I removed the charger. The charger has four heavy gauge wires. Red, black, white and green. Plus two more very thin wires. One ran to the wiring harness and the other connected to a black box that says “ABB solid state timer” on the outside. Then there’s the LED that runs up the steering column to the dash board. I didn’t cut it open to look inside but I would guess that the LED has 2 more wires inside the outer wrapping. Thank you very much for your help.

Just installed a used DQ from INWO. Out of the box before hooking anything other than A/C up the lights all came on and it went thru the self test sequence.

Do you have the DQ information sheet and troubleshoot chart? If not happy to forward or you can find on DeltaQ website.

If it’s black when you plug in I would presume it’s dead. Mine was acting weird then finally blew a resistor with a popping sound and smoke. INWO offered some tips and directions on replacing the fried part but it still didn’t work so I bought one of his used ones and swapped my end plate (had to do some internal soldering but pretty basic).

Back tearing up the neighborhood.

None of those being disconnected will cause the charger to not boot up.
The 2 small wires come from a n.c. relay in the charger. They must be connected together for car to run.
I can attempt a $125 repair, or prepare a new or used charge using the same wires from your charger.
Look at reddevil thread for possible burned resistor.

Checked the charger again today. It’s dead. No lights or sounds. Nothing at all. Car no longer runs so I guess that’s the safety than runs through the charger preventing the car from being driven while plugged in. (I hope) I found Delta q retrofit instructions on line and it looks like it is wired properly. My charger has a -02 at the end of the part number. I think that makes it specific to a Gem.
Do you have the -02 chargers?
Where are you located ?
Is there a better choice when it comes to chargers?

The DQ is the best. IMO
Connecting the two small wires together will bypass the interlock.
If you send me yours, I will install the original wires on a new generic DQ to make it compatible with your car.
I will also see if a repair is possible for less than the $350 cost of a new one.
I’m in SE Mn.

Do you accept PayPal?

The generic chargers come with a plug containing all the connections for any type gem.
Pins 3+4 are the interlock connections.
6+7 can go to an led.
1 goes to sensor.
If I have your charger, I can connect your leads to it.

Do you accept PayPal?

My temperature sensor was connected to the positive of one of the batteries. Your info says to connect to the negative. Are the sensors a one shot deal or do they start to work again once they cool off? Do you include a new sensor?

It’s a sensor. Only looks like it’s connected to B+. The big terminal is only to sense the heat.
Two wires going to the front from it. One goes to B- the other to wht from charger.
Reads about 10k at room temp.
I do not have sensors. Rarely fail.
I can test it if you send it with you charger.

What type of payment do you accept?

PayPal or check